A Vegan Attempt

For the past 3 or 4 weeks, Dave and I have been living a 65% vegan lifestyle, with the other 35% being vegetarian. If you know Dave and I, we are always doing some weird diet – anything from Slow Carb (Tim Ferris) to Low Carb to Macros to Fasting and even a juice diet. Seriously, we’ve covered the bases. Our first diet to try together was a 3-day juice cleanse around the 2012 holidays. I don’t see that happening again…

But now we are on to something completely new for us – a plant-based diet.

We’ve talked about going vegetarian or vegan before, but never took the plunge. After Dave watched the “Forks over Knives” documentary one night, he was gung ho on trying it out after seeing the lessened ageing process, tremendous health benefits, and significant weight loss of those who switched from a normal western diet to one based around what comes from the ground.

Being that Dave and I live together, it is really easy for us to fall into the same patterns, especially when it comes to eating. We are both total bingers! Give us a box of pop tarts, cereal, half a gallon of milk and some Little Debbie’s and we’ll polish them off by the early afternoon. Take the crap out of fridge and make healthy, wholesome meals and we will usually stick to it (albeit the occasional office temptations can take us off track). So, going into a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle together just made sense.

We started on a Monday, and have been totally vegan throughout the week, with occasional dairy products on the weekend. It’s amazing how often places cater to vegan and vegetarian lifestyles, and I think part of that is being lucky enough to live in Atlanta, a big city where dietary needs are vast.

2014-10-21 12.47.08

I have to admit, I haven’t really missed meat. Being a woman, tofu is ok for me to eat, and I have ate tofu even before I made this turn – I enjoy it. Cheese is hard to give up. I know there are vegan varieties, but I have yet to try them.

The weird thing though, is that I have not lost any weight. Typical. I think this is definitely proof that calories in versus calories out is how you lose. I’m eating healthy, whole foods – just too much of it possibly. My typical day includes a piece of fruit with avocado-spread toast, a quinoa chopped veggie mix with another piece of fruit, lots of black coffee and then for dinner we usually have a veggie burger on ezekiel bread and maybe some veggies with hummus. I’m also very happy that most beer is vegan too, haha. However, there is a side effect – my breath is a little stanky. I don’t know why, but I think there is something that needs to change.


This weekend, I did have a bit more cheese than a normal weekend and also included some seafood. I felt fine, except for a few breakouts, but I’m almost positive that is from dairy. So my assessment and adjustment is to mainly eat vegan during breakfast and dinner, and include a non-dairy, fish based meal for dinner. I feel weird eating fish for lunch as it can be pretty smelly and I don’t think my co-workers would appreciate that.


Has anyone else tried a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle? I’d love some tips, especially with supplements!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s