With 2016, we all set goals. But do we all know how to make effective goals? Those without a plan of action are really just wishes, because how do you achieve something without a plan of action?
I absolutely love Dave Ramsey, and for one of his talk shows of the new year, he discussed several pieces of life you should be setting goals for, and the 5 components of each goal that make them successful.
The 7 areas of life he recommended setting goals for are:
Now here is the special sauce, the 5 things each goal must have to be successful:
- Time Limit
- Written Down
It is pretty simple, but most of us sometimes skip and just say “I’m going to lose weight” or “I’m going to read more”, but those do not meet any of the above 5 factors of success.
So, let’s break it down. Here is my first goal, Physical, for 2016!
- Specific: I want to lose 10 pounds in the next 4 months, and then reassess if I want to lose more or maintain after month 4.
- Measurable: I want to lose 2.5 pounds per month
- Ownership: I want to meet this goal for me because I want to feel better, be lighter (for all those yoga inversions) and feel more confident in myself and my body.
- Time Limit: 4 months (April 30th) and then reassess what is next!
- Written Down: See above!
With goals, it is also helpful to “Write it Down, and Break it Down” as Dave Ramsey says. This is basically what steps you are going to take to get there. Here are mine:
- I signed up for the Hot and Healthy Habits program by Amanda Adams and Ander Wilson – I saw great success on their AA Bikini Body program, and this 12-week course starting January 12th is promising some big, informative health information on how to not diet and make better food choices, but still feel and look great! It is a habit change course.
- I will walk for 30 minutes, 3 times a week.
- I will go to a yoga class 3 times a week, with 2 of those classes being a little more intense.
This goal hits all the points of a successful goal, and I hope to achieve it within the next 4 months! I hope this helps with your goal setting. Let me know what you are working on for 2016!